5.01.2007

If those Bible stories bore you ... try this



Spiderman 3 "Bible Study"?!

Excerpt:

Those pesky Bible stories sure can be dry, boring and irrelevant. Unbelievers now-a-days prefer the stories in popular movies over the dusty tales of Holy Writ. Isn’t there some way that we can teach 'spirituality' without having to bore people by actually opening the Bible?

Answer: Absolutely! From one of America’s most liberal seminaries, the one that has been teaching its students to ‘de-mythologize the Bible using ‘higher criticism’ for the last 4 decades, comes a “Bible Study” guide that will allow progressive and hip pastors to teach about God’s Word without actually having to open the Bible. This new ‘Bible Study’ is sooooo kewl that it allows pastors to plumb the spiritual depths of that new fountain of spiritual truth, Spiderman 3. (We bet you didn’t even know that Spiderman 3 was a Christian allegory. That’s okay. Neither did we.)


Comment: In striving to be "relevant", it seems that the modern church embraces worldly banality. In my childhood (not sure of my age but guessing about 8 or 9), I told my Sunday School teacher that I did not read the Bible because it was "boring". He asked me if I had ever read it? Sheepishly I said "no".

Readers: Spidey can't save you! (But Jesus can! (Romans 10:8-13))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic