1.19.2013

Remembering Stan "the Man"

Cardinals Hall of Famer Stan Musial Dies at Age 92
Excerpt:


Stan Musial, one of baseball's greatest hitters and a Hall of Famer with the St. Louis Cardinals for more than two decades, has died. He was 92. Stan the Man won seven National League batting titles, was a three-time MVP and helped the Cardinals capture three World Series championships in the 1940s. The Cardinals announced Mr. Musial's death in a news release. They said he died Saturday evening at his home surrounded by family. Musial was so revered in St. Louis, two statues of him stand outside Busch Stadium. He spent his entire 22-year career with the Cardinals and made the All-Star team 24 times — baseball held two All-Star games each summer for a few seasons.
Comment: My memory. August 19th, 1961 (my 12th birthday). At old Crosley Field . My parents gifted me with tickets for my birthday. My brother and I knew then how special it was to see Stan play. Boxscore (note the game time was 2 hours, 7 minutes)


1 comment:

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic