1.05.2013

Keeping the world safe from octogenarians


85-year-old man in jail, accused of felony assault for hitting person with his cane
Excerpt:


An 85-year-old man who admits he smacked someone with his cane was in jail Thursday accused of felony assault with a deadly weapon.

His family says what is even more absurd than the allegation is the way Denver police officers hauled him out of bed in the middle of the night and took him away

... When the judge told him he was being held on $50,000 bond charged with felony assault with a deadly weapon, Copeland said he didn’t understand anything that was going on.

“Last night at about 12 o’clock AM, they sent about three policemen to the house to arrest my father,” says Larry Copeland.

... He says there was no need for police to roust his father out of bed in the middle of the night. “My father was in bed, in pain, sick, and they took him to jail.”

Larry Copeland is worried because the family doesn’t have the $50,000 to get his father out of jail. John Copeland spoke to FOX31 Denver from jail Thursday. “He never identified himself or nothin’,” he says about the man he had the altercation with in the parking lot. “And then I opened the door, I had my walkin’ cane, and I got out and I went to grab my parking thing from him.” “He slammed the door on me, and I took my cane and hit him,” Copeland says.
Comment: I can't believe he is incarcerated!

1 comment:

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic