12.19.2007

'look like an altar boy'?

Rose rips steroid users, says Hall hopes helped

Excerpt:

“I never thought anybody would make me look like an altar boy,” Rose said.

“I’ve been suspended 18 years for betting on my own team to win,” he added. “I was wrong ... but these guys today, if the allegations are true, they’re making a mockery of the game.”

Rose was banished from baseball for life in 1989 for betting on games while he was manager of the Cincinnati Reds, his former team. He denied the gambling allegations until 2004, when he came clean in his autobiography. He is not eligible for the Hall of Fame.

“If you’re going to put these guys that supposedly did steroids into the Hall of Fame, I mean I’ve got to get a shot somewhere,” he said.

Rose finished with 4,256 hits, breaking Ty Cobb’s career record.

Comment: Pete should never be in the Hall! I grew up in Cincinnati and in Pete's general neighborhood. He went to Western Hills High ... I went to Oak Hills (adjacent schools). I was a huge Pete Rose fan. But his gambling disqualified him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic