2.05.2007

Subzero for 56 consecutive hours

More than 50 hours subzero

Excerpt:

The polar plunge continues. As of 10 a.m. today, Twin Cities residents have been living in below zero temps for 56 consecutive hours and we'll stay there until at least sometime Tuesday, the National Weather Service said.
The mercury dropped below zero at 2 a.m. Saturday and it won't touch zero or go above that mark until sometime around noon Tuesday.

It's the longest stretch of continuous sub-zero temperatures in 11 years, when we endured negative numbers for 84 consecutive hours Jan. 31-Feb. 3, 1996.


My observations:


  1. I thank God for warm clothing. When we moved here from Denver 10 years ago we were not prepared for this kind of cold.
  2. I've learned to layer ... and layer with wool!
  3. I've learned the value of a wool scarf (knitted for me by my loving Mother!)
  4. Boots are helpful (I have Filsons ... they are heavy and waterproof. My feet never feel cold!)
  5. I value my Filson wool hat with ear muffs.
  6. The "best" gloves or mittens are worth it.
  7. It's somewhat claustrophobic! You don't feel like going outside.
  8. On the other hand, the metaphorical "warmth" of human fellowship is sweet!
  9. I'm glad I have not had to plow snow in this weather! (we haven't had any during this stretch!)
  10. Two of my three cats love being on my lap and in a typical evening, Blue will be on my lap for 30 minutes and Emily for an hour.
  11. 20 degrees (when it comes)... will feel great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic