3.05.2013

Identity Theft

Well it finally happened to me. Someone called and ordered items from NewEgg.com:
  • A $ 650 Canon camera
  • A $ 25 Playstation video game
  • And a $ 20 set of earphones
And they opened accounts in my name (with my home address as the billing address!) with Bill Me Later and New Egg Preferred Account to pay for these items.

New Egg called me tonight to confirm my orders. Had they not called I would not have known about this.

What I've done so far:
  • Submitted a fraud report with New Egg and cancelled the orders
  • Submitted a fraud report with both  Bill Me Later and New Egg Preferred Account
  • Filed a police report with the City of Plymouth (the police just left my house at 10 pm). Case #: 1301-0027
What I will do tomorrow:
  • Put a credit freeze in place by contacting each of the three consumer reporting companies:
  • Check to see if any additional credit has been opened
  • Contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 1-800-908-4490.
I hypothesize that this ia associated with Account Take Over

4 comments:

  1. No fun. I need to remember to check my credit reports...I've been taking advantage of the "Free every year" option, but I think it's been a bit beyond 12 months since I last looked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of curiosity, did NewEgg say what prompted them to call you to verify the order?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tobin, I was a bit discombobulated and shell-shocked so I did not ask that question. My hypothesis is that the billing address (my address) did not match the shipping address.

    I confirmed that the billing address was indeed my address. When I asked for the shipping address they said they could not disclose that for privacy reasons. But the shipping address was not my home address

    ReplyDelete

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic