3.15.2013

Answering a Professor's question


Scuse my saying so . . . but don't you work in the secular field and have for years? What part have you played in the missions movement?
Actual email to me this week. Response:
  • The great commission weighs heavily on me and I daily pray for the lost and look for opportunities to witness
  • The secular verses sacred vocation. I really don't think about it that much. It takes worker bees like me who labor in some pretty mundane areas but support one's local church faithfully

3 comments:

  1. I remember in high school, we had a term for some of the chapel speakers/guest Bible class teachers we had at times. "He's the kind of guy who thinks we should all be on the mission field" was a phrase uttered more than a few times each school year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was more than a little irritated. This idea that the clergy are "in the ministry" and those in the secular work force are "out of the ministry".

    But he is well-known (I've gathered) for having a prickly personality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of us are called into "work" on the Lord's Day. My wife the nurse
    provides health care to those in need on the holy-est of holidays.
    Those in who are in the non-secular world should be thankful that
    there is a medical professional or policeman on duty when they
    suddenly are stricken after that large Sunday meal. I am just as
    loved by the lord as my minister and I help pay his salary and keep the heat and lights on at our large church auditorium. God bless us all!

    ReplyDelete

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic