3.01.2007

Adventures with Telecommuting



I worked from home today ... actually I took half a day off and here is the story:


  1. I brought my Lenovo T60 laptop home last night and connected to the office via VPN this morning.
  2. I realized that I did not have a power adapter in my backpack. I hope it is in my office drawer at work, but will wait until tomorrow to find out.
  3. I had a full day of work planned, but only 3 hours of battery power available.
  4. I called CompUsa at 8:45 and talked with the store manager. Sadly this store is going to close in 60-90 days. Jessica assured me that they had a Targus laptop power adapter for the T60.
  5. I told here I would be there in 40 minutes.
  6. I quickly plowed our driveway (perhaps 2 1/2" of snow) and drove my S-10 pickup down to the Minnetonka store.
  7. I rarely (emphasize RARELY!) drive my pickup in the snow. The back end is skittery and I'm not all the comfortable driving it in these conditions.
  8. I did get to CompUsa safely but I did some sliding on the way (at the Hwy 169 entrance from Medicine Lake).
  9. I pull my old aluminum crutches out of the bed of the pickup and walk very carefully (trust me I've fallen many times in the snow before!)
  10. All's well at CompUsa. Jessica had set aside the product. I looked it over. Backpage of the products says that it is compatible with the T60. I buy it on my company credit card (will the boss approve??).
  11. While I'm in CompUsa the heavier snow has commenced. I come out and the windshield and driver's side window heavy with snow.
  12. I arrive home safely (and I had been praying the entire time!) ... no slips on the way home.
  13. I unpack the Targus adapter. It's a nice product with a long cord. There are custom tips for various laptop models. None of the tips work with the T60.
  14. Meanwhile, I've been called twice on my cell phone. Change Management needs me to review a change. And another manager wants me to immediately write up a VISTA communication that should go out later today. My laptop is almost out of juice.
  15. I visit the Targus website and see that I need tip S31 (not in the package). It's $ 14.95 and I can add it to my cart. Hah! I'm not going to spend more money on this!
  16. I call Jessica at CompUsa. Sorry she says, they do not have tips. What's in the package is it! I'm glad they are closing now!
  17. I call Targus technical support. Victor (he's in India and I guarantee this is not his real name ... his English is more Indian than anything I can understand) says I need tip S31 (I know this already ... I've been to the website)
  18. I explain to Victor that Targus has misled me. The package says it supports the T60. There is no note that says said tip is not in the package and the store does not even have this tip! I'm a little angry with him as I explain the snow storm, plowing the driveway, driving my S10 which I never drive in the snow, slipping on the highway , etc.
  19. He volunteers to send me tip S31! For free. Ok that is taken care of. I provide name, address, zipcode, phone number, and email and I'm off the phone with Victor at Targus
  20. Now I know my day is not going to work out for me. I have appointments and meetings that I am hosting, plus Change Management on my back, plus that VISTA communications that has to be written now.
  21. I cancel my WFDC 2.24 UAT meeting. Turns out the Engineer has not fixed the problem anyways so that can wait. I cancel my 1 p.m. meeting and call the guy in DesMoines and quickly review our changes that commence at 2:00 a.m.
  22. I set up an 11:30 VISTA meeting (it is now 11:10).
  23. I call Change Management (Darcy) and get those issues resolved.
  24. I emailed my boss telling him I am taking the afternoon off.
  25. VISTA meeting (almost out of laptop power!): I beg off ... I say I'm out of juice , someone else needs to write this communication.
  26. Out of office set on mail ... and on voice. I shut down at noon!

1 comment:

  1. Very well written info as to Mr. Gore . . . as for the rest of your blog, it too is excellent.

    The "Dead Battery" thingy, I have been there done that too.

    But you are a survivor and will succeed in whatever undertaking faces you, so please keep up the good work and perhaps you might make it to my age . . . 73 years.

    You are good, thanks for making the post.

    Joel

    ReplyDelete

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic