3.15.2007

First take on ESV


I received a nice genuine leather ESV (English Standard Version) pocket NT (w Psalms and Proverbs) this week and today I found a quiet place (Gethsemane Cemetery in New Hope)to read I and II Timothy.


  1. I read the text aloud (in the privacy of the cab of my pickup).
  2. I compared with my KJV pocket NT


Here are my initial impressions:

  1. It is very good and very modern English. It is easy to read
  2. I stumbled at "silly myths" in I Tim 4:7. I don't say "myths" well anyways and the combination of "silly" & "myths" didn't come out well.
  3. This mispronunciation prompted me to consult with the KJV which has "old wives' fables". This of course lead me to wonder what the underlying Greek would be. Looking at the Greek (old womanish, old wives, an old woman) I conclude that the KJV is better.
  4. Cf I Timothy 4:7 in 5 versions.
  5. Qualifications for Bishop (I Tim 3:3). ESV: "not a drunkard" vs NKJV: "not given to wine". (The NASB and NIV follow the ESV. I think this is probably a better translation than the KJV/NKJV (but I personally believe Pastors should abstain from alcohol))
  6. I also found I Tim 5:16 interesting: ESV: "If any believing woman has relatives who are widows" cf NKJV: "If any man or woman that believeth have widows". I gather that there is a textual issue here.



Overall, I was very impressed with this version. I hope to read the entire ESV NT in the next several months.



Tonight's Scripture reading: Deuteronomy 4

(1-2): "Now, O Israel, listen to the statutes and the judgments which I teach you to observe, that you may live, and go in and possess the land which the LORD God of your fathers is giving you. You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you"

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jim for my pocket ESV. I received it on Monday. BTW, Gethsemane Cemetery is where our son Jonathan is buried.

    ReplyDelete

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic