9.25.2006

What isn't taught in Bible College

Or at least I have not observed it taught in fundamental Bible colleges:


  1. The truth about Romans 14 and tolerance among believers over differences over preferences. At Haddon Heights Baptist, when I was an Assistant Pastor and only preached 4 times a year (and only on Sunday nights) - I preached on Romans 14 and caught all kinds of HEAT! Sad! That church - then over 100 years old - had never been taught Romans 14!
  2. That tithing is not a New Testament command
  3. That drinking is not prohibited in the Bible
  4. That the Christian life is meant to be lived without an organization imposing rules on the believer. (And most preachers graduate from a school with rules upon rules and carry that mentality to the church)
  5. The role of a woman in marriage and the balance between true male leadership and love for his spouse.




Tonight's Bible readings:

Kathee and me: 2 Cor 9 & 10

2 Cor 9:7, "So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver"


Roger, Kathee and me: Acts 20

Acts 20:7-12 "Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight. 8 There were many lamps in the upper room where they were gathered together. 9 And in a window sat a certain young man named Eutychus, who was sinking into a deep sleep. He was overcome by sleep; and as Paul continued speaking, he fell down from the third story and was taken up dead. 10 But Paul went down, fell on him, and embracing him said, “Do not trouble yourselves, for his life is in him.” 11 Now when he had come up, had broken bread and eaten, and talked a long while, even till daybreak, he departed. 12 And they brought the young man in alive, and they were not a little comforted"

1 comment:

  1. Jim, my son found this and after trying to explain why you posted this comment, I was a bit surprised that you would name a place that I though embrased and loved you and your family. I have many fine memories of your time with us! I do agree like most churchs today, ours has had its issues and still does. But by the grace of God my family and I are still serving there.
    I hope all you are doing well. Your kids must be all grown up now? Sue and I have 5 kids, one is with the Lord. They are 23, 20, 17 and 14. Interesting time's!
    I just had my 20 aniver at GlaxoSmithKline. Not sure if you knew but Scott and Karen moved to Napperville IL about 5-6 years ago.
    Hows your health? I know was a stuggle for so long and remember praying for you!
    Because of Christ
    Steve

    ReplyDelete

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic