8.10.2008

"indirect potable reuse" or "toilet to tap"?

A Tall, Cool Drink of ... Sewage?

Excerpt:

When you flush in Santa Ana, the waste makes its way to the sewage-treatment plant nearby in Fountain Valley, then sluices not to the ocean but to a plant that superfilters the liquid until it is cleaner than rainwater. The “new” water is then pumped 13 miles north and discharged into a small lake, where it percolates into the earth. Local utilities pump water from this aquifer and deliver it to the sinks and showers of 2.3 million customers. It is now drinking water. If you like the idea, you call it indirect potable reuse. If the idea revolts you, you call it toilet to tap.

Opened in January, the Orange County Groundwater Replenishment System is the largest of its type in the world. It cost $480 million to build, will cost $29 million a year to run and took more than a decade to get off the ground. The stumbling block was psychological, not architectural. An aversion to feces is nearly universal, and as critics of the process are keen to point out, getting sewage out of drinking water was one of the most important public health advances of the last 150 years.


...
inside each of 16 concrete bays hangs a rack of vertical tubes stuffed with 15,000 polypropylene fibers the thickness of dental floss. The fibers are stippled with holes 1/300th the size of a human hair. Pumps pull water into the fibers, leaving behind anything larger than 0.2 microns, stuff like bacteria, protozoa and the dread “suspended solids.”

The excitement and the bubbles were backwash: every 21 minutes, air is injected into the microfibers to blast them clean. The schmutz goes back to the sewage-treatment plant, and the cleaner water, now the color of chamomile tea, is pumped toward reverse-osmosis filters in another building. Before we saw that process, Wildermuth led me underground to inspect several enormous pumps and pipes large enough to crawl through. I noted that everything was clearly labeled and scrupulously clean. Then it dawned on me: reassurance was the reason we’d taken the detour.


Comment: Fascinating article.

3 comments:

  1. I think "sludge" is a funny word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I grew up with my well separated from the septic field by about 200'....the only thing that grosses me out about this is the fact that people might fish in that lake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been so scared in my life. For some reason I had a hard time sleeping the other night and I turned on the tv and caught an infomercial..........It was the most grotesquely alluring appeal I've ever seen. I wanted to turn the channel in horror, but I couldn't. It was about "colon cleansing" and how it's a good thing to do. I still have no appetite a few days later after seeing it.

    ReplyDelete

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic