2.21.2011

To do lists and being a "bit player" in the drama of redemption

Does My To-Do List Reflect Arrogant, Evil Boasting?

Comments: The above blog post prompted some thoughts

  • Firstly I can honestly say that my "to do" lists are not boastful. You have to have one at work or you just cannot function. One has to prioritize and keep track of what must be done. At home my lists are very mundane and normally only a Saturday thing. Examples: gas for tractor, give blood, coffee with friend, etc.
  • About the "bit player" in the drama of redemption in the title. We've been reading Samuel. Now in 2nd Samuel but just finished the 1st. Whenever I come to the story of Jonathan I want him to live. I want him to survive and not die (not giving the story away but he dies in 1 Samuel 31). I read something earlier this week (but cannot put my finger on the location) that God does is not obligated to meet our expectations. One may plan a number of things ... what I will do in retirement, what my gloriously important ministry will be, etc. But each of us are but bit players in drama of life. Jonathan is an semi-important player (1st Samuel) but he with others just advance HIS-story ... History! The History of Redemption and the coming of the Messiah! It's not about me! Or you! It's about the Lord!
  • One should say or could say with Mary: "My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior"
  • Or with John the Baptist: "He must increase, but I must decrease"
  • We live that Christ "may have the preeminence"
  • Dramas (think a play) have multiple Acts. Some characters are but bit players in the 1st act and are not found in succeeding acts. Jonathan (it still saddens me) didn't make it to 2nd Samuel (although I understand the Jews regarded Samuel as one book!). He is a bit player in the drama of redemption.
  • Conclusion: It is foolish to think of oneself as more significant than he should.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic