2.05.2011

1994: 'What Is the Internet?'

NBC Fires Employee for Posting 'What Is the Internet' Clip

Excerpt:

An NBC worker who posted old footage from the "Today" show of the hosts wondering, "What is the Internet anyway?" has been fired, the network confirmed, saying the person had a history of distributing material without permission.

The footage, in which Katie Couric, Bryant Gumbel and Elizabeth Vargas try to figure out the Internet and e-mail addresses, made the rounds via said Internet last week, posted and re-posted to Facebook pages and sent via e-mail.

Filmed in 1994, the clip features Gumbel demanding, with a befuddled expression: "What is the Internet anyway?" and Couric stumbling to define it as: "that massive computer network, the one that's becoming really big now."

Comment: I was using the Internet back then but it was in it's infancy. I had a Prodigy account. As I recollect we had a 9600 baud modem. Click article link for video.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great clip.

    My first experience with the internet wad as I started college in 1995...we could connect in the dorms at 14400. I communicated with my family via email - they had an AOL account they used with their 2400 baud modem.

    ReplyDelete

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic