6.24.2008

Oregon trip

Kathee and I returned last night from our Oregon trip. Some photos and brief comments.

We flew into San Francisco last Wednesday. We rented a Mustang. Turns out it was a brand new 2008 coupe with only 43 miles on it. When we returned it, it has 1250 miles on it.



We drove through downtown San Fran and across the Golden Gate:



Up the California coast ...



Into Crescent City:



The funeral service for Kathee's brother Ed was at Eagle Point National Cemetery (Oregon)





On Saturday we drove up to Crater Lake (Oregon):












Sunday we drove down I-5 from Medford, past Mount Shasta and into San Francisco.

We stopped at this gas station in Weed California. Mount Shasta in the background:



Comments:

  1. The Mustang is not nearly as nice as my Impala and it has no back seat to speak of. But it looks good.
  2. Gas was $ 4.799 per gallon up in California and Oregon. There is no self-serve gas in Oregon. Men come out and fill up the car and wash the windshield (like the '60s). Gas was $ 3.819 when we returned to Plymouth!
  3. After dinner in San Fran, the skies were smokey. And just to our N was a fire on San Bruno Mountain
  4. Northwest charged me $ 25. to upgrade to an aisle seat for the return trip. This is despite the fact that my profile in Orbitz specifies aisle as my preference (I would be hard pressed to get into a middle or window seat).
  5. On the flight out, I used my IPod for the first time. I did not know how to turn it on, an 8th grader in the seat next to me helped me through the menu!
  6. At a funeral one ponders his mortality. I did and I'm glad I'm saved!




Back to work today. No pictures (it would be depressing!)

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back Jim!

    Considering the circumstances, it looks like your trip was about the best it could be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to me as if your trip honored the man as much as your attendance at his funeral. Well done, and welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bert, Larry, and Dan,

    Thank you for your comments. 5 years ago we visited Medford and did some of the same things with Ed. Like we went to Crater Lake with Ed and his wife.

    This time on the way up we ate at the same restaurant (in Prospect OR) (breakfast) where we ate with Ed and Janey (dinner that time on the way down from Crater Lake). We sat at the table right next to the one were were at with them 5 years ago (someone was at that table so we could not take that one).

    ReplyDelete

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic