1.29.2008

Bush: "addiction competes for your affection"

Bush: Faith Helped Him Beat Drinking

Excerpt:

President Bush called his one-time struggle with alcohol an "addiction"—a blunt characterization of his life before he relied on his faith to help turn it around.
"Addiction is hard to overcome," Bush said, speaking Tuesday at a faith-based center that helps former prisoners get job training and other help.

"As you might remember, I drank too much at one time in my life," the president said. "I understand faith-based programs. I understand that sometimes you can find the inspiration from a higher power to solve an addiction problem."

Increasingly, Bush has reflected in candid terms about his days of drinking. Last month, he told some young recovering addicts to stick with their fight against drugs and cited his own experiences with alcohol years ago. He said at that time that "addiction competes for your affection ... you fall in love with alcohol."


Comment: Candid, interesting, encouraging.

2 comments:

  1. I have my disagreements with Bush in several areas (generally I'm more conservative ), but in this area I stand by him and have appreciated him. And we can't deny that our current leadership hasn't had their struggles with this issue and overcome them (Bush has 1 DWI and Cheney has 2 :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my own problems with alcohol abuse for several years in my youth! So I did appreciate President Bush's comments.

    ReplyDelete

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic