8.22.2007

Jabez' prayer

1 Chronicles 4:9,10, "Now Jabez was more honorable than his brothers, and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, “Because I bore him in pain.” And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, “Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!” So God granted him what he requested."


Comment: We commenced reading the Chronicles last night. The first 9 chapters are heavy with genealogy and not easy reading. But the prayer of Jabez is a highlight. So much is made of the phrase "enlarge my territory" ... must be balanced with "keep me from evil"! Interesting read: What is the prosperity gospel?: "The Prosperity Gospel seems to “prove” that God exists and that faith “pays off.” Many American Christians do not know the Biblical Gospel and, therefore, cannot spot a counterfeit. Christian publishers have published books like “The Prayer of Jabez” in order to enrich themselves."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic