3.28.2015

Mission Passion Profession Vocation Purpose Graph




Finding your life purpose

Excerpt:


  • Passion: Is that which you love. The thing that sets your soul on fire. Something you think about constantly, and when apart from it, you count the minutes until you are with it again. The object of your passion could be a person, a job, a place, a food, a pet or a combination of all. When you are passionate about something, you can’t stop talking about it, or trying to learn more about it.
  • Mission: Is that which the world needs, and you are going to provide it for the world. Your mission, like your passion, drives you. But rather than coming from an internal place, a mission is usually doing something for someone other than yourself.
  • Vocation: Something that you can be paid for, usually your job. Your vocation is what gets you up each day and sends you off to work so that you can support yourself and your family. Some people are more attached to their vocation than others.
  • Profession: Is that which you are good at, and is closely aligned with vocation. You can call yourself a professional when you have reached a certain level of expertise in your job.
When these four components all intersect, you have arrived at your life purpose, for example: “Life purpose is when you have found something for which you get paid, and which you have a high level of expertise in that fires you up and inspires you every day to improve. Not only does your life purpose provide comfort for yourself, it also does good for others.”
Comment: Interesting graph. Source. Starecat. I need to think about this more but my initial take is thoughtful but not in complete agreement. What do you think?

  • My life purpose ... to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ. I know I do this imprecisely : "For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain" (Philippians 1:21)
  • My job or career: Information Technology (IT). There's a lot I love about IT. Some I don't like
  • The world needs it? Well IT jobs are generally in demand. In an economic sense I am in the supply (I supply my time and talent) and demand (my company still wants me) zone. 
  • Am I great at it? I would probably give myself a B+ here. 
There are some other good images of this on the Internet: here and here. Or use this search


No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic