5.23.2008

Unusual morning

I had personal banking business to take care of today that involved going to the bank and getting a cashier's check and then getting a package together for the post office. Kathee is working from home so I was on my own. I was at the bank branch at 7:40 thinking I could take care of this through drive-through banking which is not so. So I had to wait for the branch to open at 9. I had more than an hour to "kill" so I drove into Gethsemane Cemetery to read my Bible and pray. Not to sound pius (that's not the purpose of this post) but having a pocket Bible in the car and some quiet time was a real blessing. I read Ephesians 4-6 and a passage in Romans.

It was interesting watching the comings and goings at the cemetary. I parked in a secluded shady spot and had my driver's side window down just enjoying the solitude. The comings and goings: an older woman parked near me (I actually thought it was some kind of a security person because it was a large, dark SUV) and visited a grave. A large street sweeper came along the road I was parked on. And then the most unusual: a Biff's porta potty truck pulled up and a large beefy guy unloaded a porta potty about 50' from where I parked.

But all in all I had a refreshingly quiet time of Scripture reading and prayer. The hour went by quickly and I was at the bank just after opening.

3 comments:

  1. That is the same cemetery where our son Jonathan is buried...Strangely enough, they were the only ones who were willing to work with us on price, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told my wife that I would like to be buried there. She said "it's a Catholic cemetery!". I'm pretty sure that that wouldn't be a bother to me then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to go to cemeteries once in awhile. First off, if you like history, they are absolutely fascinating places as they do tell their own story of the history of an area or even a nation (if there are people buried there that were nationally known. But even more important, it's good to remind ourselves, because it's right in our faces and we can't ignore it there, of the importance of life and eternal issues.

    ReplyDelete

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic