5.13.2008

Smart ... but not wise!




Einstein letter calls Bible ‘pretty childish’

Excerpt:

The letter up for sale, written to philosopher Eric Gutkind in January 1954, suggests his views on religion did not mellow with age.

In it, Einstein said that "the word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish."

"For me," he added, "the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions."

Addressing the idea that the Jews are God's chosen people, Einstein wrote that "the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people. As far as my experience goes, they are also no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything 'chosen' about them."


Comment: Psalm 14:1, "The fool has said in his heart,“There is no God.” They are corrupt, They have done abominable works, There is none who does good"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic