4.29.2008

A John Piper book I am awaiting

Update on John Piper's Writing Leave

Excerpt:

Here's a list of forthcoming books, some of which he is working on during this leave.


  1. History’s Most Spectacular Sin booklet (June, 2008)
  2. Spectacular Sins: And Their Global Purpose in the Glory of Christ (September, 2008)
  3. Rethinking Retirement: Finishing Life for the Glory of God (September, 2008)
  4. John Calvin and His Passion for the Majesty of God (January, 2009)
  5. A book on Marriage (no title or publication date yet)
  6. A book on Regeneration (no title or publication date yet)


Please join us in praying that God would graciously anoint John Piper during this season of communing with God and writing for the joy of all peoples.



Comment: Today K had a Dr's appointment at 7:30 in Wayzata. I waited in the lobby and read yesterday's USA Today (would that be USA Yesterday!?) and a real estate magazine with Minnesota / Wisconsin lake homes for sale. Afterwards we drove downtown and had breakfast at the 100 Washington 4th floor cafeteria. We happened upon my first Wells Fargo (then Norwest) manager, Jeff Williams. Jeff hired me back in 1994 in Greenwood Colorado. We moved to Minneapolis in '96 and Jeff in '97. That first job was one of the most fun jobs I've ever had (too bad it was also one of the lowest paying secular (remember I used to be a pastor, so I understand low pay!) jobs. Jeff is 62 and I am almost 59. The subject of retirement came up (as often happens when folk our age get together). Truthfully I'm not sure if I will make it to retirement. My brother-in-law died back in December. I've had at least 4 co-workers die this year including one who died yesterday. I'm older than all of the co-workers and almost the same age as Tom (B-I-L) so one never knows. I could die (won't be the worst thing .. "absent from the body ... present with the Lord" (2 Cor 5:8); "to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain" (Philippians 1:21); "what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away" (James 4:14)); or Christ could catch me up ("Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord" (1 Thessalonians 4:17)). But regardless of those possibilities, one has to prepare for (whatever one wants to call it): the time when one is too old, too weak, to feeble to earn a living. I don't like calling that "retirement" but for now I will. I view retirement as the time when one is freed from the corporate world to serve the Lord as one is able. So the Piper book I am looking forward to is Rethinking Retirement: Finishing Life for the Glory of God.

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts on retirement; Gary North reported once that the most deadly month in a man's life is the month after he retires. I also like what I think Billy Graham said--something about not knowing of any of the Lord's servants in the Scriptures who retired.

    ReplyDelete

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic