2.28.2008

Fun stuff at work


My manager gifted me with some neat new tools.


  1. A CablesToGo KVM switch (photo)
  2. A Dell Optiplex GX620


I'm a little spoiled with PCs at work as I have a Thinkpad running XP and a HP 7700 running Vista.

In December and January I converted my company Intranet site from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005. The old management tools (Enterprise Manager) would not work with SQL Server 2005 and when I tried to install the new 2005 tools (Management Studio), the install failed. I petitioned my manager to provide a new (it's not really new but it is servicable) PC just for Cold Fusion development. Last Friday I imaged the GX620 with XP. A co-worker did all the cableing. Today I installed Cold Fusion V 8, and the SQL Server 2005 Management Studio. I copied my local (development) website onto a thumbdrive ported it over to the GX620. All of this today took about 3 hours! But it is all done and it worked first time.

Next week I am going to reimage my ThinkPad with the latest XP image. I have another wiring project to complete as well. My cubical only has 2 data ports. Now the GX620 is connected via a 50' cable to a cubical adjacent to mine. Next week, 2 more data ports will be installed in my cubical. The KVM switch enables push button (think an old Chysler push button transmission!) switching between PCs. Very cool.

Thank you boss!

1 comment:

  1. KVM. Very nice. We have a setup at work so that we can image multiple PCs at the same time so we can do on-the-fly fixing rather than waiting for hardware support to get to us. Cleans up the work space. Looks like you got a newer model then the one we have.

    ReplyDelete

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic