2.17.2007

Thoughts on worldliness

I was asked this week about worldliness and what follows is my response:

Basically the the Christian is to please One Person and that is the Lord Jesus Christ.


  1. 1 Corinthians 6:20, "For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify
    God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's."
  2. 1 John 2:15-16, "Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father but is of the world."

Sounds simple doesn't it? Glorify God! Do not love the world!


It's not simple because God the Spirit has left it with us to wrestle with this in our own hearts. Some build a list (and this is one legitimate approach) and then avoid things on the list. Others let others build that list for them (it strikes me that that works well with children but not with adults). Others start with the heart and "guard the heart".


I don't have it resolved in my own life whether I am glorifying God and not loving the world. I'm sure I have had some successes and I am sure I have had many failures.


This I have resolved ... that I want to glorify Christ and I do love my Savior! The "accept a list" approach, in my mind, would put the focus on pleases somebody else. And I am to please Him!

I'm sure this doesn't help much. It is important to read your Bible, worship Christ and fellowship with other believers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic