2.20.2007

God our Savior

This section is from Hodge v 1 p 517. Its a little technical but worth reading. It pertains to I Timothy 1:1, "Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ, by the commandment of God our Savior and the Lord Jesus Christ, our hope"




Even 1 Tim. i. 1, kat' epitagen Theou soteros hemon kai Kuriou Iesou Christou, may be naturally rendered, "according to the command of God our Saviour, even our Lord Jesus Christ." This is in accordance with the parallel passages in Titus i. 3, "according to the commandment of God our Saviour;" and Titus ii. 13, "of the great God our Saviour Jesus Christ." In this latter passage there is no reason, as Winer and De Wette acknowledge, for questioning that Christ is called the great God, except what they regard as the Christology of the New Testament. They do not admit that Christ is the great God according to the doctrine of Paul, and therefore they are unwilling to admit that this passage contains that declaration. But if, as we have seen, and as the whole Church believes, not only Paul but all the Apostles and prophets, abundantly teach that the Messiah is truly God as well as truly man, there is no force in this objection. Violence must be done to the ordinary rules of language if tou megalou theou kai soteros are not referred to the same subject; inasmuch as theou has the article and soteros is without it. The fair meaning of the words is, "The Great God who is our Saviour Jesus Christ." This interpretation is also demanded, (1.) By the context. Jesus Christ is the subject of discourse. Of Him it is said that He is the great God our Saviour, who gave Himself for us. (2.) Because the epiphaneia, appearance (here in reference to the second advent), is repeatedly used in the New Testament of Christ, but never of God as such, or of God the Father. See 2 Tim. i. 10; 2 Thess. ii. 8; 1 Tim. vi. 14; 2 Tim. iv. 1, 8. (3.) The position of the words soteros hemon before Iesou Christou. If "God" and "Saviour" referred to different persons the natural order of the words would be, "The appearance of the great God and Jesus Christ our Saviour;" and not as it is, "The appearance of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ." Great God and Saviour obviously belong to the same person in 1 Tim. i. 1. "The command of God our Saviour," and in Titus i. 3, "God our Saviour;" and in this place (Tit. ii. 13) that God and Saviour is declared to be Jesus Christ.




Work:

  1. I demo'd my database project to Chuck M (a manager of 80-90) on Monday and it went well. We got his "buy-in" to proceed. I need to make some enhancements before it rolls out.
  2. Last night I was dreaming about how to make the one major enhancement. I woke up and went into work and noodled it! My manager did not like the approach. I thought about a solution all day and think I have a better one. I need to do some programming on my test system to see how it works.
  3. We are down to 3,000 workstations to upgrade (out of 59,0000). We have upgrade activity targeting 1,400 of these on Thursday and Friday. My next window of opportunity is March 2nd through 11th. Then I think I will be done with this upgrade cycle (that began in mid-July!).
  4. I have my annual review either next week or the 1st week of March. We get rated 1-5. Basically the vast majority of people are 3, 4, or 5. I've been a 5 once. Once year a 3 1/2 (they don't do halves anymore!). And every other year I've been a 4. I think that this year I will be a 3. If so it will be a crushing letdown. But I have steeled myself to what will occur. Life goes on if I am a 3, but I will need to rethink my future in this job!



Life:

  1. Kathee and I have colds ... we improve every day but still are feeling rough
  2. We've been reading Numbers .. tonight chapters 5 & 6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic