12.24.2016

Raleigh "English" Bicycle



Raleigh Bicycle Company

I'm not sure of the exact year, but guessing Christmas 1962 or 63, Dad and Mom bought me a Raleigh "English" Bicycle for Christmas.

It looked just about like the above picture except it was brown. It had a 3 speed Sturmey-Archer coaster hub

The bike revolutionized transportation for me: No more walking! I installed a simple speedometer / odometer and a rear generator driven red light.

No one wore helmets back then.

I used it for a good three or four years until I started driving in 1966.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty sure it was actually English--the sources I find don't indicate they had overseas manufacturing. Many lousy products from England at that time due to nationalization, but their bikes from the time were great.

    ReplyDelete

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic