4.15.2011

The rifaximin “chaser”

Rifaximin Shows Activity Against C difficile-Associated Diarrhea

Excerpt:

A new epidemic strain of C difficile has emerged that is highly resistant to new fluoroquinolones with anaerobic activity, said Dr Johnson.

He presented a study in which a rifaximin “chaser” was used after a last course of vancomycin in 7 patients (all women) with multiple CDAD recurrences. Rifaximin was given empirically, 400 to 800 mg/day in 2 or 3 divided doses for 2 weeks, immediately after completing a suppressive course of vancomycin and before symptoms recurred.

Comment: Back to the Dr today (Nila Suntharam). I have 6 "vanco's" left. Taking one every three days. Tonight I started the Rifaximin regimen ... 2 200 mg pills twice a day for 14 days. I think I am over the C-Diff. Things have improved quite a bit over the last week. Monday I am going back to my downtown office.

I really had great care from Dr Suntharam and her staff. I told her I hoped I would never see her again (in a clinical way!). But she lives in Plymouth so perhaps I will meet her outside of the Dr - patient relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic