3.25.2016

Excruciating






Excruciating

Have you every experienced really intense pain? I'm sure all of us have. Perhaps slamming your finger in a car door, falling hard on the payment (I can't count the number of times this has happened to me!), experiencing a cut, or a bad scrape. Several times in life I have stepped on a nail. Once I stepped on a broken sea shell that embedded itself in my foot and sent me to to the hospital. One of the worst pains I experienced was shots in my back. I was on my stomach on a table while the Doctor injected shots near my vertebrae. I gripped the edge of the table and tears welled up in my eyes. Sometimes we call pain "excruciating". Surely you can identify with that!

Every wonder what "excruciate" means? Origin: 1560-70; < Latin excruciātus, past participle of excruciāre to torment, torture, crucify (derivative of crux cross).

See that "cross"! Jesus experienced the cross for sinners. He experienced "excruciating" pain at the hands of wicked men.

This Easter weekend ignore the Peeps, the bunnies, the eggs and the candy and think about this:

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)
Comment: See On the Physical Death of Jesus Christ. Image source.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic