11.09.2017

39 Radiation Treatments


Beginning a week from today, the 39 radiation treatments will commence: Weekdays only with 3 holidays off. 

I had the targeting CAT scan today. They molded a custom form for my feet and legs and I have three "dot" tattoos at my hip level that the machine can triangulate on for targeting. 

It all starts next week at Methodist Hospital in Saint Louis Park. Each radiation treatment is just about 15 minutes, but I have travel, checkin, dressing down etc., so I think each day may be about 2 hours. 

Kathee will go with me with the exception of two days a week when she babysits our grandkids. Thanks for your prayers for me. 

If all goes well, blood work in late January will show the cancer to be in remission. 

I hope to keep a normal schedule but the doctor tells me I may be extra tired. 

I am going to try to witness to one person everyday. Today I gave a gospel of John to a receptionist. So perhaps pray that God would enable this opportunity as well. 


Date
Day
Time
16-Nov
Thursday
Completed
17-Nov
Friday
Completed
20-Nov
Monday
Completed
21-Nov
Tuesday
Completed
22-Nov
Wednesdayy
Completed
23-Nov
Thursday
Thanksgiving
24-Nov
Friday
5:15pm
27-Nov
Monday
5:30pm
28-Nov
Tuesday
2:00pm
29-Nov
Wednesdayy
7:45am
30-Nov
Thursday
7:45am
1-Dec
Friday
7:45am
4-Dec
Monday
7:45am
5-Dec
Tuesday
7:45am
6-Dec
Wednesdayy
7:45am
7-Dec
Thursday
7:45am
8-Dec
Friday
7:45am
11-Dec
Monday
7:45am
12-Dec
Tuesday
7:45am
13-Dec
Wednesdayy
7:45am
14-Dec
Thursday
7:45am
15-Dec
Friday
7:45am
18-Dec
Monday
7:45am
19-Dec
Tuesday
7:45am
20-Dec
Wednesdayy
7:45am
21-Dec
Thursday
7:45am
22-Dec
Friday
7:45am
25-Dec
Monday
Christmas
26-Dec
Tuesday
7:45am
27-Dec
Wednesdayy
7:45am
28-Dec
Thursday
7:45am
29-Dec
Friday
7:45am
1-Jan
Monday
New Years
2-Jan
Tuesday
7:45am
3-Jan
Wednesdayy
7:45am
4-Jan
Thursday
7:45am
5-Jan
Friday
7:45am
8-Jan
Monday
7:45am
9-Jan
Tuesday
7:45am
10-Jan
Wednesdayy
7:45am
11-Jan
Thursday
7:45am
12-Jan
Friday
7:45am

The delivery device is a Varian TrueBeam


11 comments:

  1. Wow, that's intense....will pray.

    And to state the obvious bad joke, hope you don't start glowing in the dark, brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update. I prayed for you and the gal to whom you gave the Gospel of John.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the times: I chose 7:45 as my preferred time. All others were assigned to me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be praying for & your family during this entire process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Day#1 done: Witnessed (Gospel of John and prayed) w Nick - 70 yr old man in a wheelchair w bladder cancer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Day # 2 11/17 5:30 appt:

    Arrived at 5:20. Machine is broken and down. Man in the lobby was in the machine when it broke.

    They have 2 machines but him and I are programmed for #1 and it is broken.

    Dr comes out and tells us he wants us to wait and Varian has been called. Next update at 6:45

    Kathee goes to cafeteria and bring back hamburgers for us (on them)

    Tonight is my grandson's 2nd birthday and we are supposed to go there after wards

    Finally at 7 ... kids go ahead and have cake with Sully (2). We are still at the hospital.

    In the lobby (all cancer patients): Russian man with lung cancer w his (spouse?) About 50. I offer Gospel of John. Thanks but not interested.

    Bonnie (about 75) arrives with husband of 48 years Raj (he is from Malaysia). They met while she is in peace corp years ago. She has lung and bone cancer. Today is her birthday.

    Russian man and woman have left for food. K & I sing happy birthday to Bonnie. She smiles and is happy.

    Tech comes out and tells her that because machine is down she will be rescheduled.

    Before she leaves I offer Gospel of John and she gladly receives. I tell her I am a retired pastor and may I pray with her. She says yes and we hold hands as I pray for her.

    They leave.

    Russian man is back and the machine is up and running at 7 p.m.

    Lobby empty and Hindu man from Guyana arrives: throat cancer. Surgery got some but not all cancer.

    Russian man is done and it is my turn.

    Done at 7:45.

    I give Gospel of Johns to two techs: Jacob and Rich (from India)

    Back in the lobby I pray with Hindu man and share 1 Tim 1:15 with him

    Off to birthday party and home at 9:45 pm

    Very long day

    37 more to go

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arrived at 5:40 pm for 5:45 appointment.

    Sole person there. Done by 6:15 and home

    ------
    I did have an opportunity to witness to an Israeli youth - 25 . Adam has been in US for a year. Garage door repairman.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Symptoms started today (after lunch): The lining of the bladder is sensitive to radiation and may become inflamed (a condition called cystitis) during treatments. Your treatments may cause you to feel: Pain or a burning sensation when you are urinating. The need to urinate frequently (often in small amounts). Plus some blood in the urine. Also was very tired this morning and slept for at least an hour after breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Day # 4: 6:30 appt / home at 7:40

    Gave nurse Julie Anne and husband (Tom) or breast cancer patient Lynn a Gospel of John.

    To another man as well but I think he threw it away.

    Saw Hindu man on the way out

    Dr is concerned about blood in urine. One off?

    May need to see urologist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wed 11/22 - 6pm appt:

    All ran 45 min late.

    Hindu man (see above) there with his son Randy who works at Wells Fargo. Able to pray with the father and give gospel of John to both.

    Shared my cancer verse (1 Tim 1:15) with techs Jacob and Sara.

    Tom and wife Lynn there again. Extended conversation.

    Upon leaving was able to briefly share the gospel and leave gospel of John w nurse Cathy.

    If I am never healed - this is worth it

    ReplyDelete

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic