Windows Users Jumping Ship to Apple: Survey
Anti-virus company Avast conducted a survey of Windows-based PC users the day before Windows 8 was released. The results were devastating for Microsoft (MSFT) and non-Apple PC makers. They were excellent, meanwhile, for Apple (AAPL). ...Comment: My company will be skipping Windows 8. Image source.
- The survey covered 135,000 Windows users split across three versions of the operating system: Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP.
- Only a very small percentage of users--9%--said they were going to accelerate a purchase of a new computer because of Windows 8.
- Overall, 16% of those surveyed said they planned to buy a new computer
- Of these folks, a staggering 42% said they plan to buy an Apple product--either a Mac or an iPad.
- Most of the Apple buyers (30% of the total buyers) planned to buy an iPad, suggesting that some of these planned purchases are motivated by the desire to buy a tablet. (Maybe Microsoft can save some of these with strong sales of the Surface.)
- The rest of the switchers, 12%, planned to buy a Mac.