2.24.2010

FICO score: Cancel a credit card?

How Much Does Canceling Credit Cards Affect Your Credit Score?

Excerpt:

While I generally check my credit report every 4 months or so, the last time I checked my credit score was November 2008. At that time, it was right at 740. Earlier this week, I checked my credit score again. I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was 730+!

Why would I be pleasantly surprised that my credit score has dropped between 5-10 points over the last 16 months? Because that’s when we stopped playing the credit game.

In early November 2008, Courtney and I not only canceled our credit cards, but also paid off our only non-student installment loan. The following month, we decided to take it a step further and close our final remaining credit card.


Comment: Be sure to read this article from MyFico (blog post refers to it).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic