3.10.2010

Desktop technology in 16 years


  • Dumb terminal for 2 years. No PC. Terminal was on 24 x 7. You would come to work, hit the enter key ... enter a password and you were live on the mainframe. No email (we did have Mainframe mail but we only got about 3 mails a week!)
  • Windows 3.11 for a number of years. First time with Outlook!
  • Windows 95 from about 1996 until 1999. We had to reboot at least once a day.
  • Windows NT from the end of 99 until about 2004. I had a series of great PCs. Seemed like every other year I had a new PC
  • Windows XP in 2004 on a Dell laptop. First laptop
  • Upgrade to XP SP1 in 2005
  • Windows XP SP2 on a Lenovo laptop in 2006. I'm still on this same laptop but now XP SP3


Observations: Windows NT was the first Windows operating system that really seemed to work! Solid. Back on Windows 95 I had Internet access for the first time. I did web (Intranet) work for the first time. If one hosted an Intranet site, manager would approve Internet access. People would come by my cubical and I would show them CNN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic