- Found by Indy
- Examined by the Nazis - to their destruction
- Crated by US government officials
- Filed away in a massive warehouse
- And the Nazi emblem magically is burned away (as if from the inside)
A great story ... but what likely happened:
- Stripped of it's gold
- The wooden portion burned
- Gone! When Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon destroyed Jerusalem: 2 Kings 24:10-13 "At that time the servants of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon came up to Jerusalem, and the city was besieged. 11 And Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon came to the city while his servants were besieging it, 12 and Jehoiachin the king of Judah gave himself up to the king of Babylon, himself and his mother and his servants and his officials and his palace officials. The king of Babylon took him prisoner in the eighth year of his reign 13 and carried off all the treasures of the house of the Lord and the treasures of the king's house, and cut in pieces all the vessels of gold in the temple of the Lord, which Solomon king of Israel had made, as the Lord had foretold." 2 Kings 25:8-10, " In the fifth month, on the seventh day of the month—that was the nineteenth year of King Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon—Nebuzaradan, the captain of the bodyguard, a servant of the king of Babylon, came to Jerusalem. 9 And he burned the house of the Lord and the king's house and all the houses of Jerusalem; every great house he burned down. 10 And all the army of the Chaldeans, who were with the captain of the guard, broke down the walls around Jerusalem. "
- Jeremiah (a contemporary of these events) comments on the Ark in chapter 3 of Jeremiah: "they shall no more say, 'The ark of the covenant of the Lord.' It shall not come to mind or be remembered or missed; it shall not be made again. " (vs 16)
It's still a good movie!