10.02.2015

The national anthem of Hell is 'I did it my way'



Invictus


My Way - Lyrics

Comments:
  • I memorized Invictus in high school and the mantra "I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul" was my credo for several years. It's a good pick me up ... I can do it phrase / view that can move the needle from being a "C" student to a better student or from being dumped by a girl to "I'm going to stop crying and find another girlfriend".
  • About Frank Sinatra and My Way: I am a Frank fan and I like the song!
  • The "My way" / "Captain of my soul" works until one understands that God is the grantor of the soul and we are the grantee! As in the following
  • "See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand." (Deuteronomy 32:39)
  • "What man is he that liveth, and shall not see death? shall he deliver his soul from the hand of the grave?" (Psalm 89:48)
  • "Thou hidest thy face, they are troubled: thou takest away their breath, they die, and return to their dust." (Psalm 104:29)
  • While still appreciating the expression of Henley's indomitable spirit, and hoping to have that same warrior mentality as I face my own trials; the "Captain of My Soul" view falls short when one is crumpled paralyzed on the ground after a spinal injury!
  • This quote is instructive: "The national anthem of Hell is 'I did it my way'.Peter Kreeft

Peter Kreeft is a brilliant apologist. Here's a helpful link to his writings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic