2.20.2015

All we are is Stardust in the Wind?


We had a new speaker at our Toastmaster's meeting this week. The first speech for a new member is the Ice-Breaker. These are always interesting because the speaker is introducing himself, he is generally a little nervous, and each one's story is completely unique. The other interesting thing about our Toastmaster's club is the number of international professionals. This factor spices things up as they speak about their upbringing, their food, and their culture. The speaker this week had a simple speech - "Who am I?". He had a three point outline: 
  • His upbringing
  • His career
  • His spiritual life
As he started his speech, I thought 'this will really be interesting!'. We have several Christians in our club and I was thinking, 'this may be another one'. His upbringing in a foreign last was certainly interesting. His career was less so because, I suppose, it is not so unlike mine. He was involved in Y2K (me too!), et cetera. Then onto is spiritual life. As an aside I have used the Biblical terminology of "image of God" in several of my speeches. Once, after a speech, a club officer rebuked me for using religious language in my speeches. I held my own on this and responded that Toastmasters is a "free speech" zone and I was simply using language that even Presidents ave used. But onto the speech of the day - the highly anticipated point he was to discuss, 'His spiritual life'. Would he say he was a Christian? A Hindu? A Buddhist? His native land is predominantly Hindu and Buddhist. Or would he say he was Muslim? I was hoping he would say he was a Christian! But he said he was stardust. We are all stardust! Isn't that interesting! I hadn't expected that. Afterwards I connected briefly with him and introduced myself. Later at my office, I thought 'how bleak that is! ... but stardust!'
Comment: Of course if you read my blog and / or know me, you know that I am indeed a Christian! Above is the Kansas' Dust in the Wind. Lyrics below:
I close my eyes only for a moment, and the moment's gone All my dreams pass before my eyes, a curiosity Dust in the wind, all they are is dust in the wind Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea All we do crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind Now, don't hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky It slips away, and all your money won't another minute buy Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind (all we are is dust in the wind) Dust in the wind (everything is dust in the wind), everything is dust in the wind (the wind)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic