6.26.2018

On having a "Bucket List"





You only live once: 5 ways to avoid retirement FOMO: How the ‘fear of missing out’ can keep you from enjoying retirement

Excerpt:

In your various social media feeds, you see your friends and acquaintances visiting family, traveling to exotic locals, eating tantalizing food, driving their new car, attending a coveted cultural event, enjoying their new retirement home.

It is human to succumb to FOMO — the fear of missing out. Here are five ways you can keep FOMO and its financial repercussions at bay.

You still have 24 hours in the day, but now you have to make new choices about what to do with it. When you see what everyone else is spending their money on it becomes increasingly difficult to manage the financial tensions of what you need and desire for today as opposed to down the road.

The financial services and pharmaceutical industries only expound the problem. Media portrays retirement happiness as mature couples walking on the beach or sitting on a flower-covered hillside in matching bathtubs. It leaves you feeling like you are not enough and lacking in various facets of this new season of life.

FOMO is the updated terminology for “keeping up with the Joneses”. It is alive and well at every age but needs to be recognized and intentionally battled as you live a life of no regrets.
Comments:

  • Things I have heard:
    • You've got the money ... why not spend it?
    • Do you care how your heirs spend your money?
  • Firstly: I don't have a bucket list! 
    • There is nothing undone in life in terms of "life experiences"
    • I don't want to go to Israel! I will in the Millennium!
    • Ditto Europe. I do have a cousin in England I wouldn't mind visiting. I've thought about paying for his airfare to visit me!  
    • I don't believe that "I only live once!"
  • Job had this confidence:  "I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth" (Job 19:25). I have that same confidence. Christ will be here (the culmination of the Davidic line of Kings ... to rule and reign on the earth. AND I will be  here with Him! 
  • On money:
    • I don' t want to spend as much as I can! 
    • I don't want  to be a miser!
    • I want to be generous!
    • I want to use it for God's glory!
    • And at the end: "A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children" (Proverbs 13:22) (That's Amelia and Sullivan!)
  • I'm surprised by:
  • But on the "Fear of Missing Out" (FOMO) ... I'm not missing out on anything! And about the "You only live once" ... Nope ! I've got eternal life

1 comment:

  1. Amen. I am super grateful for my mom's family, who demonstrated the reality that fellowship has a lot more to do with people than things or places.

    ReplyDelete

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic