11.22.2009

On Picky Eaters

Complaint Box | Picky Eaters

Excerpt:

having a simple dinner with the people I love now requires a nutritionist, an Excel spreadsheet and considerably more patience and culinary skill than I possess.

The very last straw was a friend who called before her family came for dinner and — without a hint of shame — presented me with a detailed list of their food requirements: Her husband doesn’t care for shrimp, her son requires a pasta side dish with every meal, and none of them eat the dark meat of chicken, which she dismissed savagely as “dreck.”

I have had enough with people who want to have it their way, and I am done catering to the quirks of food-obsessed numskulls. If you eat in my home, I will grudgingly respect medically diagnosed allergies, since it puts a pall on conversation when a guest goes into anaphylactic shock at the dinner table. But beyond that, I expect you to eat what you can, ignore the rest and not make trouble. On Thursday, 15 people are sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner at my house, and with God as my witness, I promise you this: There will be dark meat.


Comment: My Father in Law would not eat fish of any kind. He also did not want any foods on his plate to touch other foods (vegetables must not touch mashed potatoes!). I have a relative who announced that he would not eat ham ... but then had three helpings of the same at a dinner. Or another ... only free range chicken. On the other hand I will not eat squash.

5 comments:

  1. Not even pumpkin pie? (that's a squash, after all)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was raised to eat whatever was in front of me or not eat.(and there were a few meals we didn't eat) We could not even go to the fridge to get something different. Of course, my Mom did her best to cater most meals to us, but there were times when she didn't. After leaving home there were only a few things I did not eat, but have since learned to like or learn to stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds familiar, Daniel. I remember sitting at the table long after everyone else was gone because I still had green beans on my plate.

    And I still won't eat them now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic