9.22.2015

"Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom"






This blog post pertains to "truth" and whether there is absolute truth. The above photos are of McMicken Hall at the University of Cincinnati. I graduated from U.C. in 1971 and while I was there became a believer in Christ as Messiah, Lord and Savior (1969)

McMicken was the business school main building while I was there. The topmost photo is from 1906 and the others more modern.  The Medici lions guard the main entrance. Above the main portico is a quote from Proverbs 4:7. Below in broader context:
He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live. 5 Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth. 6 Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee. 7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. 8 Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her. 9 She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee. 10 Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings; and the years of thy life shall be many. 11 I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths.
While I was there what the front of McMicken was basically the back. I rarely entered McMicken past Mic and Mack (the lions) and under the "wisdom" saying.

The quote is interesting from a historical perspective ... that 100 years ago the U.C. "Fathers" had a high view of the God of the Old Testament as a source of wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic