10.26.2011

Driving back on Hwy 169

I drove back from Des Moines to Plymouth along U.S. Route 169

  • I left Des Moines at 1:00 p.m. I had to use On-Star once. I was at the entrance to I-235 and didn't know whether I should have gone East or West. Turns out the answer was East. (I was here)
  • I exited I-35 at Ames, bought an Iowa map and gassed up
  • Took US Hwy 30 West through Boone and onto Ogden where I picked up 169
  • Now North on 169: Through Fort Dodge (the Hwy by-passes the town) and then onto Humboldt. I stopped at a convenient store / gas station and bought a Mountain Dew. There was a sign on the door: "High School Seniors, 10% off". I trying to claim the 10% discount for being a Senior. The checkout clerk was not amused!
  • Onto Algona. The last "big town" in Iowa.
  • Finally the Minnesota border and Elmore (the boyhood home Walter Mondale)
  • Then Blue Earth. I stopped for a break and called Kathee to advise her of my progress. 5:00 p.m.
  • I stopped again for a break at a rest area 25 miles N of Mankato. 50 miles left to go. Getting tired
  • Arrived home at 7:12 p.m. Kathee had a nice dinner awaiting!

Comment: I love Iowa! I love Minnesota. I could live in some of these towns

Route

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a nice drive. Of the many times we've done that drive (my in-laws are southwest of Des Moines), we never tried anything than going straight back up I-35.

    ReplyDelete

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic