1.15.2009

Bush's legacy: He kept us safe!



President Bush’s Last Televised Address

Excerpt:

This evening, my thoughts return to the first night I addressed you from this house – September 11, 2001. That morning, terrorists took nearly 3,000 lives in the worst attack on America since Pearl Harbor. I remember standing in the rubble of the World Trade Center three days later, surrounded by rescuers who had been working around the clock. I remember talking to brave souls who charged through smoke-filled corridors at the Pentagon and to husbands and wives whose loved ones became heroes aboard Flight 93. I remember Arlene Howard, who gave me her fallen son's police shield as a reminder of all that was lost. And I still carry his badge.

As the years passed, most Americans were able to return to life much as it had been before Nine-Eleven. But I never did. Every morning, I received a briefing on the threats to our Nation. And I vowed to do everything in my power to keep us safe.


Comment: Widely loathed, President Bush will be well-remembered by history. But probably not in his (or my) lifetime.

Updated: Denny Burk: "A Few Thoughts on Bush’s Speech"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic